Reaching the Hume River on 16 November 1824, both Hume and Hovell carved their names on tree trunks near the northern bank of the river. Hume’s tree was later destroyed, but Captain Hovell’s tree remains to this day.
This story is compiled from the work of local historians Rosemary Boyes and Dirk Spennermann.
Albury’s Hovell Tree, Rosemary Boyes, pamphlet for Albury and District Historical Society, undated
Nineteenth Century Indigenous Land Use of Albury (NSW) ILWS Report 83, Dirk H R Spennermann, 2015, Institute for Land, Water and Society, Charles Sturt University, Thurgoona.
Parklands gratefully acknowledge the support of the NSW Government, through the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage and the Heritage Council NSW, to make these Hume and Hovell Track stories.