Murray River - Community Capacity Building
Fosters have partnered with Parklands to build community stewardship along the Murray River Parklands.
Initially, the focus of this project was recruiting a Friends Group to oversee future development along the 60km river frontage where Parklands is the appointed Committee of Management. Feedback through a range of forums including a public meeting and park tour revealed that the scale of works was beyond the capacity of one individual group.
The Parklands philosophy of "lots of people all doing a little" has been applied to the Murray River Project. Currently, a range of groups have taken ownership of sections of the Murray River. Current partners include;
- Cooper Tools (Apex Tools) - Bonegilla Island
- Hume Building Society - Gateway Island East
- Rotary Club of North Albury - Gateway Island Wetlands
- Bidja Bila Landcare Group - Murray Oxbow
- Smart Air - Huon Hill section of Wodonga Creek
- Lesters Funeral Home - House Creek section of Wodonga Creek
- Department of Justice - Browns Island
The financial support from Fosters has enabled staff to focus on building these longer term partnerships to connect people with country.